Our Story

How it all started...

Englewood Presbyterian Church had its beginning as a result of two population studies for the Church Extension Committee of Albemarle Presbytery in 1953 and again in 1959. Both indicated a need for a Presbyterian Church in the Englewood area of Rocky Mount.

Under the auspices of the Session of West Haven Presbyterian Church, the Englewood "Project" was begun in March of 1961 with the organization of a church school and regular preaching services. Meetings were held 
"Loving All for the glory of Jesus Christ"
  in the Coleman-Pitt American Legion Building under the name of Englewood Area Presbyterian Chapel.   On February 17, 1963, efforts of the group culminated in the organization of the Englewood Presbyterian Church. There were 66 charter members.

Dedication for the original building was held on September 18, 1966. The youth building was added in 1988. The groundbreaking for the current sanctuary and office complex was held in August of 1999 and the building was dedicated in 2001. The new sanctuary literally was built on the Word of God, with each family writing a scripture card and burying a scritpure capsule in the center of where the new sanctuary would be built. The old sanctuary and offices were turned into the fellowship hall and kitchen areas of the church.

 Pastors of EPC have been:
Rev. William A. Leist, Pastor, 1962-1966
Rev. J. Donald Glover, Pastor, 1967-1971
Rev. Dr. Harold Dudley and Rev. DeWitt Helm, Pulpit Supply, 1971-1972
Rev. Charles W. Coats, Pastor, 1972-1995
Rev. Andrew R. Clark, 1997-2006
Rev. Dr. Robert M. Westlund, 2008-present

In 2012 Englewood Presbyterian Church started a discernment process with New Hope Presbytery to consider issues of Biblical and theological differences with Presbyterian Church USA.  The discernment process led Englewood to request dismissal from the Presbyterian Church USA.  On December 1st, 2013 Englewood Presbyterian Church was released by the PCUSA and was accepted by the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Englewood Presbyterian Church is a congregation of people who are striving to live up to their mission statement: "Loving All For the Glory of Jesus Christ".   We render humble thanks to Almighty God for "working His purposes out among His people," and we praise Him that in His providence He has brought us together. We wholeheartedly believe that God will continue to bless as we continue to "preach the unsearchable riches of Jesus Christ" and seek to minister to our community in His name with a sincere desire to make Him known in every aspect of our ministry. 

Expanding the vision...

The leadership and members of EPC are vigilant in prayer to seek God's vision for His church.  

Where we are headed...

The leadership of Englewood Presbyterian is leading the congregation  in the power of the Holy Spirit to be witnesses of Jesus (Acts 1:8) and to Go and Make Disciples (Matthew 28:19).     We do this through prayer, Bible Study, presence in our community, our social media footprint, and our daily life with our neighbors.   

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 10:30 am.